Thursday, February 21, 2019

Running Again in District #2



As the West Lafayette Democrats gather at Town & Gown this afternoon at 4:00pm to kick off our 2019 Municipal Election Campaign, I am happy to announce that I am once again running to represent the Second District on the West Lafayette City Council.



I want to see how the story ends.

Mayor Dennis, the city staff, the Redevelopment Commission, and the City Council (I serve as it's President.) have managed to give us a sound, sane, and sometimes brave brand of local government. The last four years have seen annexation, a reconstructed State St., and the creation of a new urban downtown.

The next four years will see us move into a new recreation center, a remodeled city hall (Morton Center), and develop a land use plan for our riverside.

In District #2, I am proud of how the New Chauncey land use plan has managed to balance redevelopment with the preservation of single-family homes. (I promised a tip of the hat to Morris Rentals; here it is !)  If you live on Littleton or Robinson historic preservation has saved your - - - - bacon  - - - - this year. Want to remodel your 1920's bungalow? There is now money to help you do that. After NINE YEARS of work, this year New Chauncey gets street lights; the first dozen will be on Salisbury and Quincy. I'm planning a campaign photo of me standing next to one.

There are a lot of angry, crazy people in politics these days. We aren't them.

Thanks to everyone who, over the last twelve years, has called, emailed, written - even dropped by my office at 610 Meridian - to share their thoughts, complaints, and hopes for the city. All of us on the council actually DO enjoy conversations about scooters, "Air BnB's", pottery kilns, streetlights, State St., the Riverside, our recycling center; WHATEVER :)

Thank you too for understanding how often we are limited by a terrible state government. 

Be sure and register to vote. Click below. I certainly want to thank you for the votes you have given me these last three terms.

Municipal Election Tuesday November 5th.
October 7th Voter Registration Ends
May 21st Voter Registration Opens

Finally, my thanks to the Purdue Exponent for their lovely article on my planned retirement from the Chapel of the Good Shepherd (Episcopal Campus Ministry)



No comments: